Our IPC theme for this term is entitled
Topic Overview: One day, humans may need to leave Earth and settle on another planet. Mars is our most likely destination – a world that we believe once harboured life and, with our intervention, may do so again in the future.
In English, we will be using a cross curricular approach to ensure children are stimulated by this exciting topic. We will writing a range of text types such as reports based on planets and life as an astronaut and argumentative texts featuring if aliens exist or not?
Our featured text is ‘War of the Worlds’ by HG Wells. We will be exploring the language and writing structure to create space fiction narratives, diary entries and radio broadcasts.
Close to Easter we will be exploring poetry!
Other science fiction books I recommend reading…
In Science, we’ll be finding out:
• About the planets in our solar system
• About mass and weight, and the effects of gravity
• How to grow seeds and plants, and choose those that will be suitable for Mars
• About different energy sources
• About different forces and their effects
In Geography, we’ll be finding out:
• About the geographical features of Mars
• How we can prove that there was once water on Mars
In Technology, we’ll be finding out:
• About the technology that has been used to explore Mars
• How to design and make a robot to explore Mars
In History, we’ll be finding out:
• About what people in the past used to think about Mars
• About the evidence to prove and disprove intelligent life on Mars
In Society, we’ll be finding out:
• How to work as a team
In International, we’ll be finding out:
• About the reasons why we might one day need to live on another planet